- Population is the number of people or animals in a particular place.
An example of population is over eight million people living in New York City.
New York City has a large population.
- all the people in a country, region, etc.
- the number of these
- a (specified) part of the people in a given area: the Japanese population of Hawaii
- a populating or being populated
- Biol. a group of similar organisms living in the same region, esp. organisms of the same species
- Statistics the total set of items, persons, etc. from which a sample is taken
Origin of populationLate Latin populatio
- a. All of the people inhabiting a specified area.b. The total number of such people.
- The total number of inhabitants constituting a particular race, class, or group in a specified area.
- The act or process of furnishing with inhabitants.
- Ecology All the organisms that constitute a specific group or occur in a specified habitat.
- Statistics The set of individuals, items, or data from which a statistical sample is taken. Also called universe.
- The people living within a political or geographical boundary.
- The population of New Jersey will not stand for this!
- By extension, the people with a given characteristic.
- India has the third-largest population of English-speakers in the world.
- A count of the number of residents within a political or geographical boundary such as a town, a nation or the world.
- The town’s population is only 243.
- population explosion; population growth
- (biology) A collection of organisms of a particular species, sharing a particular characteristic of interest, most often that of living in a given area.
- A seasonal migration annually changes the populations in two or more biotopes drastically, many twice in opposite senses.
- (statistics) A group of units (persons, objects, or other items) enumerated in a census or from which a sample is drawn.
- (computing) The act of filling initially empty items in a collection.
- John clicked the Search button and waited for the population of the list to complete.