Population is the number of people or animals in a particular place.noun
An example of population is over eight million people living in New York City.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- all the people in a country, region, etc.
- the number of these
- a (specified) part of the people in a given area: the Japanese population of Hawaii
- a populating or being populated
- Biol. a group of similar organisms living in the same region, esp. organisms of the same species
- Statistics the total set of items, persons, etc. from which a sample is taken
Origin: LL populatio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. All of the people inhabiting a specified area.b. The total number of such people.
- The total number of inhabitants constituting a particular race, class, or group in a specified area.
- The act or process of furnishing with inhabitants.
- Ecology All the organisms that constitute a specific group or occur in a specified habitat.
- Statistics The set of individuals, items, or data from which a statistical sample is taken. Also called universe.
population - Medical Definition
- The total number of people inhabiting a specific area.
- The set of individuals, items, or data from which a statistical sample is taken.
- All the organisms that constitute a specific group or occur in a specified habitat.
population - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.