- Populate is defined as to occupy or fill with people or things.
- An example of populate is a large number of people moving to a newly-discovered island.
- An example of populate is planting hundreds of flowers in an empty field.
populate definition by Webster's New World
populate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb pop·u·lat·ed, pop·u·lat·ing, pop·u·lates
- To supply with inhabitants, as by colonization; people.
- To live in; inhabit: creatures that populate the ocean depths.
Origin: Medieval Latin populāre, populāt-, from Latin populus, the people; see popular.
populate - Computer Definition
To plug in chips or components into a printed circuit board. A fully populated board is one that contains all the devices it can hold.