- Populate is defined as to occupy or fill with people or things.
- An example of populate is a large number of people moving to a newly-discovered island.
- An example of populate is planting hundreds of flowers in an empty field.
transitive verbpop·u·lat·ed, pop·u·lat·ing, pop·u·lates
- To supply with inhabitants, as by colonization.
- To live in; inhabit: creatures that populate the ocean depths.
- Computers To fill (an empty field or array) with data.
- Chemistry To fill (an electron shell of an atom) with electrons.
Origin of populateMedieval Latin populāre, populāt-, from Latin populus, the people; see popular.
(third-person singular simple present populates, present participle populating, simple past and past participle populated)
(comparative more populate, superlative most populate)
- (obsolete) populous
From Medieval Latin populatus, past participle of populo (“to populate").
populate - Computer Definition
To plug in chips or components into a printed circuit board. A fully populated board is one that contains all the devices it can hold.