- The definition of tentative is not definite or final.
An example of tentative is possible, though not definite, plans to go to the movies sometime on Friday.
- made, done, proposed, etc. experimentally or provisionally; not definite or final: tentative plans, a tentative explanation
- indicating timidity, hesitancy, or uncertainty: a tentative caress
Origin of tentativeLate Latin tentativus ; from past participle of Classical Latin tentare, to touch, try: see tent
- Not fully worked out, concluded, or agreed on; provisional: tentative plans.
- Indicating a lack of confidence or certainty; hesitant: tentative steps toward the podium.
Origin of tentativeMedieval Latin tentātīvus, from Latin tentātus, past participle of tentāre, to try, variant of temptāre.
- A trial; an experiment.
(comparative more tentative, superlative most tentative)