- The definition of vacillating is something that moves or changes at will.
- An example of something vacillating is fan that moves from side to side.
- An example of someone vacillating is a politician who changes his stance on a issue as public opinion changes.
wavering or tending to waver in motion, opinion, etc.
- Present participle of vacillate.
Variant of vacillate
intransitive verbvacillated, vacillating
- to sway to and fro; waver; totter; stagger
- to fluctuate or oscillate
- to waver in mind; show indecision
Origin of vacillate; from Classical Latin vacillatus, past participle of vacillare, to sway to and fro, waver ; from Indo-European an unverified form wek-, to be bent, probably ; from base an unverified form wā-, to bend apart, turn from source Classical Latin varus, bent, diverse