- Present participle of remain.
- They will be remaining behind. (progressive)
- My remaining at the beach house kept it from being vandalized. (gerund)
- The remaining paint shall be properly disposed of. (participle used as adjective)
- 1864 August 8, William H. Seward, “Mr Seward to Mr Pike, No. 171", in Papers Relating to Foreign Affairs, Part 3, published 1865, page 322:
- It is important for us to know to what extent the remaining of that naval force is advantageous, and I hope therefore, that you will seek an opportunity informally to confer upon this question, [...]
- 1975, Michael D. Ryan & Langdon Brown Gilkey editors, The Contemporary Explosion of Theology, page 39:
- In this steadfast remaining with the Church that he so often criticizes, KÃ¼ng shows himself to be a true son of Roman Catholicism.
- (countable, rare) Remnant.
- Also used as gerund.
- which remains, especially after something else has been removed
- May I have the only remaining cake?