- The definition of living is a person or thing that is alive or active.
- An example of living is a breathing person with brain activity.
- An example of living is a social person who is enjoying the fruits of life.
- Living is defined as the style or way a person lives their life.
- An example of living is having a flashy car, expensive house and massive debt.
- An example of living is how much money you make.
- alive; having life; not dead
- full of vigor; in active operation or use: a living institution
- of persons alive: within living memory
- in its natural state or place, or having its natural force, motion, etc.: hewn from the living rock, a living stream
- still spoken and undergoing changes: a living language
- true to reality; lifelike: a portrait that is her living image
- of life or the sustaining of life: living conditions
- suited for social and recreational activities in a house: the living area
- presented in person before a live audience: living theater
- Informal very: scared the living daylights out of me
- the state of being alive
- the means of sustaining life; livelihood: to work for a living
- manner of existence: the standard of living
- in England, a church benefice
- Possessing life: famous living painters; transplanted living tissue.
- In active function or use: a living language.
- Of persons who are alive: events within living memory.
- Relating to the routine conduct or maintenance of life: improved living conditions in the city.
- Full of life, interest, or vitality: made history a living subject.
- True to life; realistic: the living image of her mother.
- Informal Used as an intensive: beat the living hell out of his opponent in the boxing match.
- The condition or action of maintaining life: the high cost of living.
- A manner or style of life: preferred plain living.
- A means of maintaining life; livelihood: made their living by hunting.
- Chiefly British A church benefice, including the revenue attached to it.
- Present participle of live.
(countable and uncountable, plural livings)
- (uncountable) The state of being alive.
- Financial means; a means of maintaining life; livelihood
- What do you do for a living?
- A style of life.
- plain living
- (canon law) A position in a church (usually the Church of England) that has attached to it a source of income. The holder of the position receives its revenue for the performance of stipulated duties.