- The definition of extant is something that still exists.
An example of extant used as an adjective is an extant law which means a law that is currently active.
- still existing; not extinct; not lost or destroyed
- Archaic standing out; conspicuous
Origin of extantClassical Latin extans, exstans, present participle of exstare, to stand out or forth ; from ex-, out + stare, stand
- Still in existence; not destroyed, lost, or extinct: extant manuscripts.
- Archaic Standing out; projecting.
Origin of extantLatin exstāns, exstant-, present participle of exstāre, to stand out : ex-, ex- + stāre, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more extant, superlative most extant)
- (still alive): extinct