- The definition of extant is something that still exists.
An example of extant used as an adjective is an extant law which means a law that is currently active.
- still existing; not extinct; not lost or destroyed
- Archaic standing out; conspicuous
Origin: Classical Latin extans, exstans, present participle of exstare, to stand out or forth ; from ex-, out plush stare, stand
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Still in existence; not destroyed, lost, or extinct: extant manuscripts.
- Archaic Standing out; projecting.
Origin: Latin exstāns, exstant-, present participle of exstāre, to stand out : ex-, ex- + stāre, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots.