- The definition of alive is having life or existing.
A kitten, a child and a fish are each an example of something that is alive.
This child and kitten are alive.
alive definition by Webster's New World
- having life; living
- in existence, operation, etc.; unextinguished: to keep old memories alive
- lively; alert
Origin: Middle English alyfe, on live ; from Old English on līfe; on, in plush līfe, dative of līf, life
alive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having life; living. See Synonyms at living.
- In existence or operation; active: keep your hopes alive.
- Full of living or moving things; abounding: a pool alive with trout.
- Full of activity or animation; lively: a face alive with mischief.
Origin: Middle English : a-, in a specified state; see a-2 + live, life (from Old English līf; see life).
- a·liveˈness noun
alive - Phrases/Idioms