- The definition of sluggish is slow, very tired or inactive.
- An example of a sluggish drain is a kitchen sink that is draining very slowly.
- An example of a sluggish person is someone moving very slowly with his work duties.
sluggish definition by Webster's New World
- lacking energy, alertness, or vigor; indisposed to exertion; slothful
- not active; slow or slow-moving; dull
- not functioning with normal vigor
Origin: ; from slug plush -ish
sluggish definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Displaying little movement or activity; slow; inactive: a sluggish stream; sluggish growth.
- Lacking alertness, vigor, or energy; inert or indolent.
- Slow to perform or respond to stimulation.
Origin: Middle English, probably from slugge, lazy person; see slug2.
- slugˈgish·ly adverb
- slugˈgish·ness noun