A sullen child.
- Sullen means being withdrawn and appearing sad.
An example of sullen is a child who dropped an ice cream on the ground.
- The definition of sullen is something that appears dull or dark.
An example of sullen is the black or dark clothing at a funeral.
- showing resentment and ill humor by morose, unsociable withdrawal
- gloomy; dismal; sad; depressing
- somber; dull: sullen colors
- slow-moving; sluggish
- Obs. baleful; threatening
Origin of sullenMiddle English solein, alone, solitary ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form solanus, alone ; from Classical Latin solus, alone, sole
- Showing a brooding ill humor or silent resentment; morose or sulky.
- Gloomy or somber in tone, color, or portent: sullen, gray skies.
- Sluggish; slow: the sullen current of a canal.
Origin of sullenMiddle English solein, from Anglo-Norman solein, alone, from sol, single, from Latin s&omacron;lus, by oneself alone; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative sullener, superlative sullenest)