The unoccupied saturnine house has a reputation for being haunted by ghosts.
- A shadowy haunted mansion is an example of someplace that would be described as saturnine.
- Your next door neighbor who snaps at you for everything and who is always disgruntled is an example of someone who would be described as saturnine.
The definition of saturnine is someone or someplace that is gloomy, dark, moody or mysterious.
- Astrol. born under the influence of the planet Saturn
- sluggish or taciturn
- of or having a gloomy manner
Origin of saturnine< ML Saturnus, alchemists' term for lead, which they considered to be very cold, like the planet having lead poisoning
Origin of saturnineOld French saturnin, of Saturn from Classical Latin Saturnus, Saturn
- Having the temperament of one born under the supposed astrological influence of Saturn.
- a. Melancholy or sullen.b. Having or marked by a tendency to be bitter or sardonic: a saturnine expression on his face.
- Produced by absorption of lead.
(comparative more saturnine, superlative most saturnine)
Saturn +"Ž -ine