- The definition of saturnine is someone or someplace that is gloomy, dark, moody or mysterious.
- A shadowy haunted mansion is an example of someplace that would be described as saturnine.
- Your next door neighbor who snaps at you for everything and who is always disgruntled is an example of someone who would be described as saturnine.
- Astrol. born under the influence of the planet Saturn
- sluggish, morose, or taciturn
Origin of saturnine< ML Saturnus, alchemists' term for lead, which they considered to be very cold, like the planet having lead poisoning
Origin of saturnineOld French saturnin, of Saturn ; from Classical Latin Saturnus, Saturn
- Having the temperament of one born under the supposed astrological influence of Saturn.
- a. Melancholy or sullen.b. Having or marked by a tendency to be bitter or sardonic: a saturnine expression on his face.
- Produced by absorption of lead.
(comparative more saturnine, superlative most saturnine)