- An example of gloomy is a rainy, dark day.
- An example of gloomy is a person who is sad or pessimistic.
The definition of gloomy is dark, depressing or dim.
- overspread with or enveloped in darkness or dimness
- very sad or dejected; hopeless; melancholy
- morose or sullen
- causing gloom; dismal; depressing
- Partially or totally dark, especially dismal and dreary: a damp, gloomy day.
- Showing or filled with gloom: gloomy faces.
- a. Causing or producing gloom; depressing: gloomy news.b. Marked by hopelessness; very pessimistic: gloomy predictions.
(comparative gloomier, superlative gloomiest)
gloom + -y