- The definition of gloomy is dark, depressing or dim.
- An example of gloomy is a rainy, dark day.
- An example of gloomy is a person who is sad or pessimistic.
gloomy definition by Webster's New World
gloomy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective gloom·i·er, gloom·i·est
- Partially or totally dark, especially dismal and dreary: a damp, gloomy day.
- Showing or filled with gloom: gloomy faces.
- a. Causing or producing gloom; depressing: gloomy news.b. Marked by hopelessness; very pessimistic: gloomy predictions.
- gloomˈi·ly adverb
- gloomˈi·ness noun