- directed downward
- very unhappy or discouraged; sad; dejected
- Directed downward: a downcast glance.
- Low in spirits; depressed. See Synonyms at depressed.
(comparative more downcast, superlative most downcast)
- (of eyes) Looking downwards.
- (of a person) Feeling despondent.
(third-person singular simple present downcasts, present participle downcasting, simple past and past participle downcast or downcasted)
- Prince Andrew came up to her with downcast eyes.
- Letting her arms fall helplessly, she sat with downcast eyes and pondered.
- "Sell me the missis," said another soldier, addressing the German, who, angry and frightened, strode energetically along with downcast eyes.
- "Countess..." said Denisov, with downcast eyes and a guilty face.
- Balashev stood with downcast eyes, looking at the movements of Napoleon's stout legs and trying to avoid meeting his eyes.