- Dialectal to mumble; mutter
Origin of mumpDu mompen, to cheat, prob. akin to mompelenSlang
- to beg
- to cheat
Origin of mumpechoic, or ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Dutch mompelen, variant, variety of mommelen, to mumble
(third-person singular simple present mumps, present participle mumping, simple past and past participle mumped)
- (intransitive) To mumble, speak unclearly.
- To move the lips with the mouth closed; to mumble, as in sulkiness.
- (intransitive) To beg, especially if using a repeated phrase.
- To deprive of (something) by cheating; to impose upon.
- To cheat; to deceive; to play the beggar.
- To be sullen or sulky.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Websterâ€™s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.