The definition of supine is laying on the back facing upward or showing a feeling of indifference.adjective
- An example of a supine action is someone lying on her back.
- An example of a supine reaction is not caring when someone is injured.
- lying on the back, face upward
- with the palm upward or away from the body: said of the hand
- Old Poet. leaning or sloping backward
- mentally or morally inactive; sluggish; listless; passive
Origin: L supinus, prob. akin to sub-: see sub-
- a Latin verbal noun formed from the stem of the past participle and having only an accusative and an ablative form
- an infinitive in English preceded by to
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Lying on the back or having the face upward.
- Having the palm upward. Used of the hand.
- Marked by or showing lethargy, passivity, or blameworthy indifference. See Synonyms at inactive.
- Inclined; sloping.
Origin: Middle English supin, Latin verbal noun, from Late Latin supīnum (verbum), (verb) lying on its back, (verb) going back, neuter of Latin supīnus; see upo in Indo-European roots.
- su·pineˈly adverb
- su·pineˈness noun
supine - Medical Definition
- Lying on the back; having the face upward.
- Having the palm of the hand or sole of the foot upward.