- The definition of negligent is a careless person, or always failing to do the right thing.
An example of negligent is someone writing their ATM pin number on their bank card.
- habitually failing to do the required thing; neglectful
- careless, lax, inattentive, or indifferent
Origin of negligentMiddle English ; from Old French négligent ; from Classical Latin negligens, present participle of negligere: see neglect
- Given to or characterized by neglect, especially habitual neglect: The negligent worker missed another deadline.
- Law Acting with or done through negligence.
Origin of negligentMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin neglegēns, neglegent-, present participle of neglegere, to neglect; see neglect.
(comparative more negligent, superlative most negligent)