- The definition of negligent is a careless person, or always failing to do the right thing.
An example of negligent is someone writing their ATM pin number on their bank card.
- habitually failing to do the required thing; neglectful
- careless, lax, inattentive, or indifferent
Origin: Middle English from Old French négligent from Classical Latin negligens, present participle of negligere: see neglect
- negligently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Characterized by or inclined to neglect, especially habitually.
- Characterized by careless ease or informality; casual.
- Law Guilty of negligence.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin neglegēns, neglegent-, present participle of neglegere, to neglect; see neglect.
- negˈli·gent·ly adverb