- The definition of negligent is a careless person, or always failing to do the right thing.
An example of negligent is someone writing their ATM pin number on their bank card.
negligent definition by Webster's New World
- habitually failing to do the required thing; neglectful
- careless, lax, inattentive, or indifferent
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French négligent ; from Classical Latin negligens, present participle of negligere: see neglect
- negligently adverb
negligent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Characterized by or inclined to neglect, especially habitually.
- Characterized by careless ease or informality; casual.
- Law Guilty of negligence.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin neglegēns, neglegent-, present participle of neglegere, to neglect; see neglect.
- negˈli·gent·ly adverb