- The definition of caring is someone or something that shows kindness and concern for others.
A person who is concerned about others and who does kind things for them is an example of someone who would be described as caring.
An elderly woman being looked after by a caring person.
caring definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Variant of care
- a troubled or burdened state of mind; worry; concern
- a cause of such a mental state
- close attention or careful heed: to drive with care
- a liking or regard (for): to show no care for others
- charge; protection; custody: left in a friend's care
- something to watch over or attend to; a responsibility
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English caru, sorrow ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ĝar-, cry out, scream from source Classical Latin garrulus, garrulous, Gothic kara, care, German kar-, in karfreitag, Good Friday
- to have objection, worry, regret, etc.; mind: do you care if I go?
- to feel concern or interest: to care about others
- to feel love or a liking (for)
- to take charge of; look after; provide (for)
- to wish (for); want: do you care for more pie?
- to feel concern about or interest in: I don't care what you did
- to wish or desire: do you care to eat now?