- Nurturing is the act of encouraging, nourishing and caring for someone or something.
Providing encouragement and support to a foster child is an example of nurturing.
- Present participle of nurture.
Variant of nurture
- anything that nourishes; food; nutriment
- the act or process of raising or promoting the development of; training, educating, fostering, etc.also nurturance
- all the environmental factors, collectively, to which one is subjected from conception onward, as distinguished from one's nature or heredity
Origin of nurtureMiddle English ; from Old French norreture ; from Late Latin nutritura, past participle of Classical Latin nutrire, to nourish: see nurse