Variant of cultivate
- to prepare and use (soil or land) for growing crops; till
- to break up the surface soil around (plants) in order to destroy weeds, prevent crusting, and preserve moisture
- to grow (plants, crops, fish, etc.) from seeds, bulbs, shoots, etc.
- to improve or develop (plants) by various horticultural techniques
- to improve by care, training, or study; refine: to cultivate one's mind
- to promote the development or growth of; acquire and develop: to cultivate a taste for music
- to seek to develop familiarity with; give one's attention to; pursue
Origin: < ML cultivatus, pp. of cultivare < LL cultivus, tilled < L cultus: see cult
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.