Variant of refine
- to make fine or pure; free from impurities, dross, alloy, sediment, etc.; purify; clarify
- to free from imperfection, coarseness, crudeness, etc.; make more elegant or cultivated; impart polish to
- to make more subtle or precise
Origin: re- plush fine, verb , based on French raffiner, to purify
- to become fine or pure; become free from impurities, etc.
- to become more polished or elegant
- to use subtleties and fine distinctions in thinking or speaking
- refiner noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.