- Agent noun of refine; one who refines.
Variant of refine
transitive verbrefined, refining
- to make fine or pure; free from impurities, dross, alloy, sediment, etc.; purify; clarify
- to free from imperfection, coarseness, crudeness, etc.; make more elegant or cultivated; impart polish to
- to make more subtle or precise
Origin of refinere- + fine, verb , based on French raffiner, to purify
- to become fine or pure; become free from impurities, etc.
- to become more polished or elegant
- to use subtleties and fine distinctions in thinking or speaking
refine onor refine upon
to improve, as by adding refinements