- Refinement is the process of making something better by making small changes, or good taste and cultural elegance.
- An example of refinement is removing the impurities from oil so that the oil can be processed and used to provide power.
- An example of refinement is taking a product you designed and making many small changes so it becomes cheaper to produce and more user friendly.
- An example of refinement is knowing how to behave in fine restaurants and enjoying the ballet or opera.
refinement definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a refining or being refined
- the result of this
- delicacy or elegance of language, speech, manners, etc.; polish; cultivation
- a development; improvement; elaboration
- a fine distinction; subtlety
refinement definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of refining.
- The result of refining; an improvement or elaboration.
- The state or quality of being refined; cultivation, as in manners or taste.
- A keen or precise phrasing; a subtle distinction.