- Subtlety is defined as having indirect or small distinctions.
An example of subtlety is when a painter uses slightly different colors to create a beautiful, detailed painting.
subtlety definition by Webster's New World
- the quality or condition of being subtle; esp., the ability or tendency to make fine distinctions
- pl. subtleties something subtle; esp., a fine distinction
Origin: Middle English sutelte ; from Old French sotillete ; from Classical Latin subtilitas
subtlety definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. sub·tle·ties
- The quality or state of being subtle.
- Something subtle, especially a nicety of thought or a fine distinction.