- Subtlety is defined as having indirect or small distinctions.
An example of subtlety is when a painter uses slightly different colors to create a beautiful, detailed painting.
- the quality or condition of being subtle; esp., the ability or tendency to make fine distinctions
- pl. subtleties something subtle; esp., a fine distinction
Origin: Middle English sutelte from Old French sotillete from Classical Latin subtilitas
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. sub·tle·ties
- The quality or state of being subtle.
- Something subtle, especially a nicety of thought or a fine distinction.