- The definition of low key is someone or something that is relatively calm, placid or not full of excitement.
- An example of a low key party is one where people sit around and quietly talk.
- An example of a low key person is someone who doesn't get easily mad or show wild swings of emotion.
- Having low intensity; restrained, as in style or quality; subdued.
- Having or producing uniformly dark tones with few areas of contrast, as in a photograph or film.
(comparative more low-key, superlative most low-key)
While both low-key and high-key are commonly used in photography, high-key is not used in everyday usage. The term mid-key also exists in photography, but is much rarer.
From key light.