- The definition of low key is someone or something that is relatively calm, placid or not full of excitement.
- An example of a low key party is one where people sit around and quietly talk.
- An example of a low key person is someone who doesn't get easily mad or show wild swings of emotion.
low-key definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
of low intensity, tone, etc.; subdued or restrained
low-key definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having low intensity; restrained, as in style or quality; subdued.
- Having or producing uniformly dark tones with few areas of contrast, as in a photograph or film.