The criminal had to be restrained with handcuffs before transporting him to the police station.
- When you don't show your emotions, this is an example of when you might be described as restrained.
- When you have a tasteful, simple black dress with no ornamentation, this is an example of an outfit that would be described as restrained.
- When you are tied up in handcuffs and you cannot freely move your arms, this is an example of when you are restrained.
- When you have your seat belt on in the car, this is an example of a time you are restrained.
The definition of restrained is someone or something that is held back, reserved or subtle.
characterized by restraint; exercising, or showing the results of, self-discipline or rational control; controlled
- Kept under control; subdued or moderate: restrained laughter; a restrained foreign policy.
- Characterized by self-restraint; reserved: a restrained and self-effacing manner.
- Prevented from moving; held down or secured: restrained passengers.
- Held back, limited, kept in check or under control.
- He greeted her for the first time in three years with a restrained embrace.
- Simple past tense and past participle of restrain.
- He was restrained by the straight jacket.