- The definition of subdued is a mood of having been calmed or quieted.
- A person who has been calmed down after being angered is an example of someone who is subdued.
- A crowd that is calm and quiet is an example of a subdued crowd.
- Subdued is defined as someone has been calmed or quieted.
When you have calmed a crying baby down, this is an example of a situation where you subdued the baby.
pt. & pp. of subdue
- reduced or low in intensity; muted: subdued lighting
- quiet or withdrawn
(comparative more subdued, superlative most subdued)
- Conquered; overpowered; crushed; submissive; mild.
- he is subdued after the disagreement last night.
- Not glaring in color; soft and light in tone.
- the colour scheme used for this room is subdued.
- Simple past tense and past participle of subdue.
- He subdued the dog yesterday.