- a road, way, or course for traveling; esp., a highway
- a regular course traveled as in delivering mail, milk, newspapers, etc.
- a set of customers whom one regularly visits to make deliveries, solicit sales, etc.
- Archaic an order for troops to march
ME < OFr route, rote < L rupta (via), (path) broken through < fem. of ruptus, pp. of rumpere, to break: see rupture
transitive verb routed, routing
- ☆ to direct, send, forward, or transport by a specified route: to route goods through Omaha
- ☆ to fix the order of procedure of (a series of operations, etc.): to route orders through the sales department