- a smooth, firmly twisted thread or yarn made from long-staple wool combed to make the fibers lie in the same direction
- fabric made from this, as gabardine or serge, with a smooth, hard surface
Origin of worstedMiddle English wurstede, after Worsted, now Worstead, England, where first made
made of worsted
- a. Firm-textured, compactly twisted woolen yarn made from long-staple fibers.b. Fabric made from such yarn.
- Natural or synthetic yarn of a medium weight.
Origin of worstedMiddle English, variant of worthstede, after Worthstede, (Worstead), a village of eastern England.
(countable and uncountable, plural worsteds)
Named after Worsted (now Worstead), a town in Norfolk, England.
- Simple past tense and past participle of worst.
Participle adjective of the verb worst.