The definition of boisterous is something noisy, loud and rowdy.adjective
An example of boisterous is a drunk person loudly shouting across a room.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- rough and stormy; turbulent
- noisy and unruly; rowdy
- noisy and lively; loud and exuberant
- Obsolete rough, coarse, or bulky
Origin: ME boistreous, crude, coarse, altered < boistous, unmannerly, violent < ? OFr boisteus, limping, rough
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Rough and stormy; violent.
- Loud, noisy, and lacking in restraint or discipline. See Synonyms at vociferous.
Origin: Middle English boistres, variant of boistous, rude, rough, perhaps from Old French boisteus, lame, limping, from boiste, knee joint.
- boisˈter·ous·ly adverb
- boisˈter·ous·ness noun