The definition of boisterous is something noisy, loud and rowdy.
An example of boisterous is a drunk person loudly shouting across a room.
- rough and stormy; turbulent
- noisy and unruly; rowdy
- noisy and lively; loud and exuberant
- Obs. rough, coarse, or bulky
Origin of boisterousMiddle English boistreous, crude, coarse, altered from boistous, unmannerly, violent from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old French boisteus, limping, rough
- Loud or noisy and lively or unrestrained: a boisterous street market. See Synonyms at vociferous.
- Rough and stormy; violent: boisterous winds; a boisterous voyage.
Origin of boisterousMiddle English boistres variant of boistous rude, rough perhaps from Old French boisteus lame, limping from boiste knee joint
(comparative more boisterous, superlative most boisterous)