- The definition of boisterous is something noisy, loud and rowdy.
An example of boisterous is a drunk person loudly shouting across a room.
boisterous definition by Webster's New World
- rough and stormy; turbulent
- noisy and unruly; rowdy
- noisy and lively; loud and exuberant
- Obsolete rough, coarse, or bulky
Origin: Middle English boistreous, crude, coarse, altered ; from boistous, unmannerly, violent ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old French boisteus, limping, rough
boisterous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Rough and stormy; violent.
- Loud, noisy, and lacking in restraint or discipline. See Synonyms at vociferous.
Origin: Middle English boistres, variant of boistous, rude, rough, perhaps from Old French boisteus, lame, limping, from boiste, knee joint.
- boisˈter·ous·ly adverb
- boisˈter·ous·ness noun