- of any or all of the four elements
- of or like natural forces; characteristic of the physical universe
- basic and powerful; not subtle or refined; primal: hunger and sex are elemental drives
- elementary (sense )
- being an essential or basic part or parts
- being a chemical element in uncombined form
Origin: ME < ML elementalis
- elementally adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or being an element.
- a. Fundamental or essential; basic.b. Of or relating to fundamentals; elementary.c. Constituting an integral part; inborn.
- Of such character as to resemble a force of nature in power or effect: elemental violence.
- elˌe·menˈtal·ly adverb