- The definition of catty is someone who is cruel and spiteful, or like a cat.
- An example of catty is a group of women who are constantly hurting each other’s feelings with comments about weight gain.
- An example of catty is someone who lounges in the sun all day like a cat.
a unit of weight used in various countries of Southeast Asia: in China it is equal to 500 grams, or 1.102 lb, but elsewhere it is equal to about 1 lb (680 grams)
Origin of cattyMalay kātī: see caddy
- Subtly cruel or malicious; spiteful: a catty remark.
- Catlike; stealthy.
Any of various units of weight used in Southeast Asia, especially a Chinese measure equal to 500 grams (approximately 1.1 pounds).
Origin of cattyMalay kati.
(comparative cattier, superlative cattiest)
- (informal, of a person or remark) With subtle hostility in an effort to hurt, annoy, or upset.
- (informal) Resembling or characteristic of a cat.
- a catty smell
From Malay kati, from the Chinese 斤 (Mandarin: 'jīn').