Variant of propagate
- to cause (a plant or animal) to reproduce itself; raise or breed
- to reproduce (itself); multiply: said of a plant or animal
- to transmit (hereditary characteristics) by reproduction
- to spread (ideas, customs, etc.) from one person or place to another
- to transmit (esp. sound waves or electromagnetic radiation) through a medium
Origin: from Classical Latin propagatus, past participle of propagare, to peg down, set from propago, slip for transplanting from pro-, before plush pag-, base of pangere, to fasten: see peace
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.