An example of a flashback is suddenly remembering a scene from the war.
- an interruption in the continuity of a story, play, film, etc. by an episode portraying a chronologically earlier occurrence
- such an episode
- a vivid, spontaneous recollection of a past experience, often, specif., of a traumatic experience
- a. A literary or cinematic device in which an earlier event is inserted into the normal chronological order of a narrative.b. The episode or scene depicted by means of this device.
- a. Psychiatry A recurring, intensely vivid mental image of a past traumatic experience: soldiers who had flashbacks of the war.b. An unexpected recurrence of the effects of a hallucinogenic drug long after its original use.c. A vivid memory that arises spontaneously or is provoked by an experience.d. An experience that has characteristics of an earlier experience.
- a dramatic device in which an earlier event is inserted into the normal chronological flow of a narrative
- (psychology) a vivid mental image of a past trauma, especially one that recurs
- a similar recurrence of the effects of a hallucinogenic drug
- the condition of the flame propagating down the hose of an oxy-fuel welding system