- The definition of derelict is something that has become deserted or neglected or a person who is grossly negligent in fulfilling his duties.
- An example of derelict is a falling-down and rotted, abandoned house.
- An example of derelict is when you fail to pay your child support.
- Derelict is defined as a person who has no assets, home, property or job.
An example of a derelict is a homeless person who lives on the streets.
A derelict building.
- deserted by the owner; abandoned; forsaken
- ☆ neglectful of duty; remiss; negligent
Origin of derelictClassical Latin derelictus, past participle of derelinquere, to forsake utterly, abandon ; from de-, intensive + relinquere: see relinquish
- a property abandoned by the owner; esp., an abandoned ship on the open sea
- a destitute person, without a home or regular job and rejected by society
- land exposed by the receding of water
- a. Deserted by an owner or keeper; abandoned: derelict railroad tracks.b. Run-down; dilapidated: derelict buildings.
- Neglectful of duty or obligation; remiss. See Synonyms at negligent.
- A homeless or jobless person; a vagrant.
- Law a. Abandoned property, especially a ship abandoned at sea.b. Land left dry by a permanent recession of the water line.
Origin of derelictLatin dērelictus, past participle of dērelinquere, to abandon : dē-, de- + relinquere, to leave behind; see relinquish.
(comparative more derelict, superlative most derelict)
- Property abandoned by its former owner, especially a ship abandoned at sea.
- (dated) An abandoned or forsaken person; an outcast.
- A homeless and/or jobless person; a person who is (perceived as) negligent in their personal affairs and hygiene. (This sense is a modern development of the preceding sense.)
Latin derelictus perfect participle of dērelinquō (“I forsake, I abandon”) from dē- + relinquō (“I forsake, I leave”).
derelict - Legal Definition
- An object that has been abandoned by its owner; an individual who is homeless, drunk or disorderly.
- Of property, that it is abandoned; of a person, that he is remiss in his duties.