- The definition of delinquent is something improper or criminal in nature or something that is late in being done.
- An example of delinquent behavior is robbing a store.
- An example of delinquent is a credit card payment that should have been paid several months earlier.
- A delinquent is defined as a person, especially someone young, who has done something society considers wrong or criminal.
An example of a delinquent is a child who has stolen a car.
- failing or neglecting to do what duty or law requires
- ⌂ past the time for payment; overdue: delinquent taxes
Origin of delinquentClassical Latin delinquens: see delinquency
- Failing to do what law or duty requires.
- Overdue in payment: a delinquent account.
- A juvenile delinquent.
- A person who neglects or fails to do what law or duty requires.
Origin of delinquentLatin d&emacron;linqu&emacron;ns, d&emacron;linquent-, present participle of d&emacron;linquere, to offend : d&emacron;-, de- + linquere, to leave, abandon; see leikw- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more delinquent, superlative most delinquent)
From Middle French délinquant
delinquent - Legal Definition
- A person who fails to perform a legal or contractual obligation, or who is guilty of illegal or disorderly behavior.
- Of a person failing to perform a legal or contractual obligation, or who is engaging in illegal or disorderly behavior.