- An example of diligent is a worker who always stays late to get projects done on deadline.
- An example of diligent is the artist who paints each strand of hair on a portrait.
The definition of diligent is hard working and done with painstaking effort.
- persevering and careful in work; industrious
- done with careful, steady effort; painstaking
Origin of diligentMiddle English from Old French from Classical Latin diligens: see diligence
Marked by persevering, painstaking effort.
Origin of diligentMiddle English from Old French from Latin dīligēns dīligent- present participle of dīligere to esteem, love dī-, dis- apart ; see dis- . legere to choose ; see leg- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more diligent, superlative most diligent)
- Performing with intense concentration, focus, responsible regard.