- An example of diligent is a worker who always stays late to get projects done on deadline.
- An example of diligent is the artist who paints each strand of hair on a portrait.
The definition of diligent is hard working and done with painstaking effort.
- persevering and careful in work; industrious
- done with careful, steady effort; painstaking
Origin of diligentMiddle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin diligens: see diligence
Marked by persevering, painstaking effort.
Origin of diligentMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin dīligēns, dīligent-, present participle of dīligere, to esteem, love : dī-, dis-, apart; see dis– + legere, to choose; see leg- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more diligent, superlative most diligent)
- Performing with intense concentration, focus, responsible regard.