- An example of diligent is a worker who always stays late to get projects done on deadline.
- An example of diligent is the artist who paints each strand of hair on a portrait.
- persevering and careful in work; industrious
- done with careful, steady effort; painstaking
Origin of diligentMiddle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin diligens: see diligence
Origin of diligentMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin d&imacron;lig&emacron;ns, d&imacron;ligent-, present participle of d&imacron;ligere, to esteem, love : d&imacron;-, dis-, apart; see dis– + legere, to choose; see leg- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more diligent, superlative most diligent)
- Performing with intense concentration, focus, responsible regard.