- The definition of diligent is hard working and done with painstaking effort.
- An example of diligent is a worker who always stays late to get projects done on deadline.
- An example of diligent is the artist who paints each strand of hair on a portrait.
diligent definition by Webster's New World
- persevering and careful in work; industrious
- done with careful, steady effort; painstaking
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin diligens: see diligence
- diligently adverb
diligent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin dīligēns, dīligent-, present participle of dīligere, to esteem, love : dī-, dis-, apart; see dis- + legere, to choose; see leg- in Indo-European roots.
- dilˈi·gent·ly adverb