- Diligence is defined as determination and careful effort.
An example of diligence is a person who does a job efficiently and takes care of little details.
diligence definition by Webster's New World
- the quality of being diligent; constant, careful effort; perseverance
- Obsolete speed; haste
- Law the degree of attention or care expected of a person in a given situation
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin diligentia ; from diligens, present participle of diligere, to esteem highly, select ; from di-, apart plush legere, to choose, collect: see logic
Origin: French ; from carrossedediligence, literally , coach of diligence, that is , fast coach ; from fairediligence, to hurry
diligence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Earnest and persistent application to an undertaking; steady effort; assiduity.
- Attentive care; heedfulness.
Origin: French, from (carrosse de) diligence, speed (coach), from Old French, diligence, from Latin dīligentia, from dīligēns, dīligent-, diligent; see diligent.
diligence - Legal Definition