- Perseverance is persistence in sticking to a plan.
An example of perseverance is working out for a two hours each day to lose weight.
perseverance definition by Webster's New World
- the act of persevering; continued, patient effort
- the quality of one who perseveres; persistence
- in Calvinism, the continuance in grace of people elected to eternal salvation
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin perseverantia ; from perseverans, present participle of perseverare: see perseverate
- perseverant adjective
perseverance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Steady persistence in adhering to a course of action, a belief, or a purpose; steadfastness.
- Christianity The Calvinistic doctrine that those who have been chosen by God will continue in a state of grace to the end and will finally be saved.