- The definition of a dilettante is a dabbler or a person who cultivates an interest without really committing or learning anything in depth.
Someone who acts as if he is deeply interested in the arts but who doesn't really take the time to learn about the arts is an example of a dilettante.
nounpl. dilettantes or dilettanti
- Now Rare a person who loves the fine arts
- a person who follows an art or science only for amusement and in a superficial way; dabbler
Origin of dilettanteItalian ; from present participle of dilettare, to delight ; from Classical Latin delectare, to charm, delight
nounpl. dil·et·tantes also dil·et·tan·ti
- One who dabbles in an art or a field of knowledge.
- Archaic A lover of the fine arts.
Origin of dilettanteItalian, lover of the arts, from present participle of dilettare, to delight, from Latin dēlectāre; see delight.
(plural dilettanti or dilettantes)
(comparative more dilettante, superlative most dilettante)
- Pertaining to or like a dilettante.