- The definition of negligence is carelessness or not paying attention, causing someone or something to be at risk of being harmed.
An example of negligence is leaving a two year old child home alone by himself.
negligence definition by Webster's New World
- the quality or condition of being negligent; specif.,
- habitual failure to do the required thing
- carelessness in manner or appearance; indifference
- an instance of such failure, carelessness, or indifference
- Law failure to use a reasonable amount of care when such failure results in injury or damage to another
Origin: Middle English neglygence ; from Old French négligence ; from Classical Latin negligentia
negligence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The state or quality of being negligent.
- A negligent act or a failure to act.
- Law Failure to exercise the degree of care considered reasonable under the circumstances, resulting in an unintended injury to another party.
negligence - Business Definition
negligence - Legal Definition