- superintendence or supervision, often, specif., as part of governmental regulation
- an unintentional, careless mistake or omission
- When you forget to include a reference in your works cited, this is an example of an oversight.
- When you monitor a construction project to make sure it progresses well, this is an example of oversight.
The definition of an oversight is something that is missed or neglected accidentally, or the process of supervising and monitoring a project.
- An unintentional omission or mistake.
- Watchful care or management; supervision.
over- +"Ž sight.
- There was no oversight as we were a privately held company with full autonomy.
- "Slight oversight," she managed at last.
- The kirk-session has oversight of the congregation in regard to such matters as the hours of public worship, the arrangements for administration of the sacraments, the admission of new Members and the exercise of church discipline.
- Of teaching, administering the sacraments, visiting the flock pastorally, and taking oversight, with his fellow elders, of all the interests of the church.
- One of the preachers in each circuit was the "assistant," who had general oversight of the work, the others were "helpers."