- Success is the achievement of something desired, worked for or the gaining of fame or wealth.
An example of success is an author's book making it to The New York Times best sellers list.
success definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete result; outcome
- a favorable or satisfactory outcome or result
- something having such an outcome
- the gaining of wealth, fame, rank, etc.
- a successful person
Origin: Classical Latin successus ; from past participle of succedere: see succeed
success definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted: attributed their success in business to hard work.
- a. The gaining of fame or prosperity: an artist spoiled by success.b. The extent of such gain.
- One that is successful: The plan was a success.
- Obsolete A result or an outcome.
Origin: Latin successus, from past participle of succēdere, to succeed; see succeed.