Success is the achievement of something desired, worked for or the gaining of fame or wealth.noun
An example of success is an author's book making it to The New York Times best sellers list.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- Obsolete result; outcome
- a favorable or satisfactory outcome or result
- something having such an outcome
- the gaining of wealth, fame, rank, etc.
- a successful person
Origin: L successus < pp. of succedere: see succeed
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted: attributed their success in business to hard work.
- a. The gaining of fame or prosperity: an artist spoiled by success.b. The extent of such gain.
- One that is successful: The plan was a success.
- Obsolete A result or an outcome.
Origin: Latin successus, from past participle of succēdere, to succeed; see succeed.