A bridge destroyed by a natural disaster.
The definition of a disaster is an event, often sudden, that causes great damage or devastation.
An example of disaster is a tsunami.
- any happening that causes great harm or damage; serious or sudden misfortune; calamity
- an utter failure: his latest novel is a disaster
Origin of disasterOld French desastre from Italian disastro from Classical Latin dis-, negative prefix + astrum, a star (see astral): from astrological beliefs: compare ill-starred
- a. An occurrence causing widespread destruction and distress; a catastrophe.b. A grave misfortune.
- Informal A total failure: The dinner party was a disaster.
- Obsolete An evil influence of a star or planet.
Origin of disasterFrench désastre from Italian disastro dis- pejorative pref. ( from Latin dis- ; see dis- . ) astro star ( from Latin astrum ) ( from Greek astron ; see ster-3 in Indo-European roots.)