- fate or necessity; subjection to fate
- something caused by fate
- a strong likelihood of ending in disaster
- a fatal quality; deadly effect; deadliness: the fatality of any specified disease
- a death caused by a disaster, as in an accident, war, etc.
Origin of fatalityFrench fatalité from Late Latin fatalitas from Classical Latin fatalis, fatal
- a. A death resulting from an accident or disaster: highway fatalities.b. One who is killed as a result of such an occurrence: The driver was one of the fatalities.
- The ability to cause death or disaster.
- The quality of being determined by fate.
- A decree made by fate; destiny.
- The quality of being doomed to disaster.
From French fatalité