- The definition of an accident is an event that happens without being planned.
- An example of an accident is a collision between two cars.
- An example of an accident is when you bump into a friend unexpectedly at the park or when you find a $20 bill lying on the sidewalk.
A car accident.
accident definition by Webster's New World
- a happening that is not expected, foreseen, or intended
- an unpleasant and unintended happening, sometimes resulting from negligence, that results in injury, loss, damage, etc.
- fortune; chance: to meet by accident
- an attribute or quality that is not essential
- Geog., Geol. an irregular formation
- Law an unforeseen event that occurs without anyone's fault or negligence
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin accidens, present participle of accidere, to fall upon, happen ; from ad-, to plush cadere, to fall: see case
accident definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: car accidents on icy roads.b. An unforeseen incident: A series of happy accidents led to his promotion.c. An instance of involuntary urination or defecation in one's clothing.
- Lack of intention; chance: ran into an old friend by accident.
- Logic A circumstance or attribute that is not essential to the nature of something.
Origin: Middle English, chance event, from Old French, from Latin accidēns, accident-, present participle of accidere, to happen : ad-, ad- + cadere, to fall; see kad- in Indo-European roots.
accident - Computer Definition
In risk management, any unanticipated or unpredictable event that may interfere with normal functions or cause logical or physical damage to data.
accident - Legal Definition
- An unintended, unforeseen, and undesirable event, especially one that causes harm, injury, damage, or loss.
- An unintended and unexpected event, especially one that is undesirable or harmful, that does not occur in the usual course of events under the circumstances in which it occurred, or that would not be reasonably anticipated.
- In equity, an unexpected and injurious event not caused by misconduct, mistake, or negligence.
- In many automobile insurance policies, any unintentional event including those caused by misconduct, mistake, or negligence.