- the part of grammar that deals with the inflection of words
- the elementary or first parts of a subject; rudiments
Origin of accidenceMiddle English accidens, inflection ; from Classical Latin accidentia, that which happens ; from accidens: see accident
Origin of accidenceMiddle English, from Late Latin accidentia, from Latin accid&emacron;ns, accident-, accident; see accident.
- First attested in the late 14th century.
- (grammar): First attested in the mid 15th century.
- From Latin accidentia (“accidental matters”), from accidens, present participle of accidere (“to happen”)