Water is a necessity for life.
The definition of a necessity is something that is absolutely needed.
An example of a necessity is water for life.
- the power of natural law that cannot be other than it is; natural causation; physical compulsion placed on man by nature; fate
- anything that is inevitable, unavoidable, etc. as a result of natural law; that which is necessary in natural sequence
- the compulsion or constraint of man-made circumstances, habit, custom, law, etc.; logical or moral conditions making certain actions inevitable or obligatory: faced by the necessity to earn a living
- what is required by this social or legal compulsion
- great or imperative need
- something that cannot be done without; necessary thing: often used in pl.
- the state or quality of being necessary
- Now Rare want; poverty
Origin of necessityMiddle English necessite ; from Old French nécessité ; from Classical Latin necessitas ; from necesse: see necessary
- a. The condition or quality of being necessary.b. Something necessary: The necessities of life include food, clothing, and shelter.
- a. Something dictated by invariable physical laws.b. The force exerted by circumstance.
- The state or fact of being in need.
- Pressing or urgent need, especially that arising from poverty.
Origin of necessityMiddle English necessite, from Old French, from Latin necessit&amacron;s, from necesse, necessary; see necessary.
- The condition of being needy or necessitous; pressing need; indigence; want.
- That which is necessary; a requisite; something indispensable.
- A tent is a necessity if you plan on camping.
- That which makes an act or an event unavoidable; irresistible force; overruling power; compulsion, physical or moral; fate; fatality.
- The negation of freedom in voluntary action; the subjection of all phenomena, whether material or spiritual, to inevitable causation; necessitarianism.
- (law) Greater utilitarian good; used in justification of a criminal act.
- doctrine of necessity
- (law, in the plural) Indispensable requirements (of life).
terms etymologically related to "necessity"
necessity - Legal Definition
A defense to a criminal charge or civil claim, that the party’s actions were in response to a supervening state of emergency.