Exigency is defined as a condition of urgency.
An example of exigency is the need to deliver a package quickly.
- the condition or quality of being exigent; urgency
- a situation calling for immediate action or attention
- [pl.] pressing needs; demands; requirements
Origin of exigencyMedieval Latin exigentia
- A pressing or urgent situation: “We were caught in a wartime exigency that was beyond any humane, any rational, resistance” ( John Kenneth Galbraith )
- An urgent requirement; a pressing need: “distracted by the exigencies of running a business” ( Richard Curtis )