prerequisite[prē rek′wə zit, pri-]
- The definition of a prerequisite is something that must happen first, or that is a condition of something else occurring.
An example of a prerequisite is the requirement that you have money before you can buy something.
required beforehand, esp. as a necessary condition for something following
Required or necessary as a prior condition: Competence is prerequisite to promotion.
Something that is prerequisite, as a course that is required prior to taking an advanced course.
- Something that must be gained in order to gain something else
- Having a decent qualification is a prerequisite to getting a good job in marketing.
- In education, a course or topic that must be completed before another course or topic can be started. May be colloquially referred to as a prereq.
- Algebra is typically a prerequisite for physics.