An example of mandatory is an employer requiring potential employees to take a drug test.
- of, having the nature of, or containing a mandate
- authoritatively commanded or required; obligatory
- having received a mandate over some territory
Origin of mandatoryLate Latin mandatorius
- Required or commanded by authority; obligatory: Attendance at the meeting is mandatory.
- Of, having the nature of, or containing a mandate.
- Holding a League of Nations mandate over a territory.
(comparative more mandatory, superlative most mandatory)