- The definition of mandatory is something that is required.
An example of mandatory is an employer requiring potential employees to take a drug test.
mandatory definition by Webster's New World
- of, having the nature of, or containing a mandate
- authoritatively commanded or required; obligatory
- having received a mandate over some territory
Origin: Late Latin mandatorius
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- mandatorily adverb
mandatory definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Required or commanded by authority; obligatory: Attendance at the meeting is mandatory.
- Of, having the nature of, or containing a mandate.
- Holding a League of Nations mandate over a territory.